Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Introduction

Hello, my name is PJ.  I am going to be blogging about the recent mar on the criminal justice system: the large number of untested rape kits found across the United States.  Since this story appeared on CBS News in November of 2009, there has been an increased interest in this staggering number: over 20 thousand.  In many cases the kits have not been sent to the labs for testing and others the kits are there, but due to lack of time, resources, and workers the kits have yet to be tested.  This lack of testing has raised many issues for people across America.  Each year there are thousands of rapes, and if even one percent of these kits are not tested, then that is over a hundred rapists that are free to rape again.  Now, many cities are testing their backlog of kits, generating many hits in the system and many arrests.

In this blog, I will discuss the developments of this story, from its beginning a year ago to today.  I will also discuss the many challenges faced by both victims and the justice system when dealing with rape cases.  In addition, I will discuss the many ideas that have been posed to help reduce the number of untested kits.  I will also follow this story as a piece of legislation makes its way through Congress that will hopefully reduce the backlog and prevent future rape kits from waiting months and even years before being tested.  I invite you to comment or ask questions. I will do my best to respond.  Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Looking more intensely at my research, I have realized I have made a mistake. It was actually March, not November, of 2009 when articles first began appearing about the high number of untested kits. I apologize for this mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned the reason why the kits aren't being tested is because of the shortage of workers and resources, but why do you think this is so? Rape is such a serious occurrence and not only a legal crime, but physical crime as well. There is more than a shortage of supplies here.. there are apathetic people that are making excuses for not readily willing to help seek justice for those rape victims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with URB because it seems that apathy is the problem. Is it the law enforcement agencies that are not taking action to seek justice? I am sure you will talk about this later, but I am confused on who does the procedure? Does a rape victim have to take the initiative or is it the police that are at fault?

    ReplyDelete